Monday, July 19, 2010

Speak Up, You're Mumbling!

Conversation with my 90 year-old mother in the dermatologist’s waiting room:


Mother: “It sure would be nice if they had some music playing here while we wait.”


Me: “They do.”


Mother: “Are you sure? I don’t hear anything.”


Me: “That’s because you’re deaf. If they had the music cranked up loud enough for you to hear it, everyone else would be driven out of the room.”


Mother: “I’ve told you, I’m not getting hearing aids! They don’t work and they’re expensive! I keep getting ads in the mail all the time for them. Did you have the company send them to me?”


Me:  (Sighly deeply) "No, I didn’t have them sent to you. I get them too—they send them to everybody who’s over a certain age.”


Mother: “Well, I don’t need them.”

Me: “Fine.”

[Pause]

Mother: “What are they playing?”                    

6 comments:

  1. Your mother is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I may have to write a book about her sayings like the one out now called "Sh*t My Dad Says." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear the title of that book! Mom's becoming a favorite of mine, too. What do you call your mother? Just so we'll know how best to refer to her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “It sure would be nice if they had some magazines to read ... if I can find my glasses.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. So. . . what WERE they playing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this entry. It makes me think of similar conversations with my own mother. Unfortunately she passed away September 15, 2008. Now I really miss her driving me crazy.

    ReplyDelete

By all means!