Monday, September 27, 2010

Banning Books Limits Freedom - CharlotteObserver.com

Kay McSpadden teaches English in a high-poverty school in rural South Carolina. Her essays on teaching are featured in a column she writes for The Charlotte Observer. Some of them have been published in a book-- Notes from a Classroom: Reflections on Teaching.

1 comment:

  1. I stopped at the college library yesterday for books for my paper and they had a kick butt display for Banned Books week. Several that I had read, several that I hadn't and several that I probably never will.

    My new son-in-law is a Republican who thinks that Sarah Palin is the WORST thing to have happened to the GOP (so he does have a brain) and I think some of his parenting is a little "wonky" but his 14 year old daughter just read "Speak" for Freshman English and had nothing but good things to say about it.

    Reading is reading. I was reading Stephen King when I was 11. As long as my son was reading, I knew that he wasn't out doing something he shouldn't. And I read at least 50% of the books he chose. Parenting is hard, let's not make it harder than it is!

    ReplyDelete

By all means!