If you've thought about going and aren't jazzed yet, please go to Terry Gross's interview with Stewart at the 92nd Street Y, available on Fresh Air at NPR.org. After listening to it, I was as impressed with Jon Stewart, the man, as I am with Jon Stewart, comedian. A couple of snippets from that interview:
And its very easy to dehumanize, and I will say in this room: I would imagine, you know, Beck and Palin are easier punching bags, and we can think of it as, oh my God, I'm so scared if they take over. And you know what? We'll be fine. You know, we had a civil war. Just - we're not that fragile, and I think we always have to remember that people can be opponents, but not enemies. And there are enemies in the world. We just need the news media to help us delineate. And I think that's where the failing is, that the culture of corruption that exists in the media doesn't allow us to delineate between enemies and opponents. And that's where we sort of fall into trouble.
***********************
The [more] you spend time with the political [world] and media, the less political you become and the more viscerally upset you become at corruption. I don't consider it political, because 'political' I always sort of note as a partisan endeavor. But I have become increasingly unnerved by the depth of corruption that exists at many different levels. I'm less upset with politicians than [with] the media. I feel like politicians — the way I explain it, is when you go to a zoo and a monkey throws feces, it's a monkey. But when the zookeeper is standing right there and he doesn't say, 'Bad monkey' — somebody's gotta be the zookeeper.
I feel much more strongly about the abdication of responsibility by the media than by political advocates. They're representing a constituency. Our culture is just a series of checks and balances. The whole idea that we're in a battle between tyranny and freedom — it's a series of pendulum swings. And the swings have become less drastic over time.
That's why I feel, not sanguine but at least a little bit less frightful, in that our pendulum swings have become less and less. But what has changed is the media's sense of their ability to be responsible arbiters. I think they feel fearful. I think there's this whole idea now that there's a liberal media conspiracy, and I think they feel if they express any authority or judgment, which is what I imagine is editorial control, they will be vilified.I can't wait. There are going to be "special guests" and I'll wager one of them will be Rachel Maddow. I hope Oprah won't be there; I'm miffed 'cause she forgot to send me my plane ticket and because I'd really like to see America do something big that doesn't require Oprah to give it her blessing.
| Obama responds to DADT question at Town Hall Meeting |
Cooler: I love it that the Prez is a Harvard Law School graduate and a professor of constitutional law at University of Chicago. How else would he be able to thread his way through the Don't Ask, Don't Tell maze? While the right vilifies him and the left stamps its foot with impatience (which I share!), Mr. Obama is parsing the law and navigating the political waters like the pro he is. If anyone can successfully make that stupid, cruel policy go away, I believe he can. A misstep will leave gay and lesbians who serve or who want to serve vulnerable to indefinite continuation of DADT, and that would be an additional show of disrespect to the over 13,000 men and women who have found their military careers destroyed by Pub. L 103-160 since 1993.
Not that she would tackle this issue, but can you imagine Sarah Palin as President tackling something this legally and politically complex? She'd be a puppet and a dupe, unable to add one thing of substance to the machinations of her handlers. Keep the faith, my brothers and sisters; the right man is on the job.
Cooler Still: Returned the other day from a West Coast trip to visit my daughter's family. And, just to prove that I didn't spend all my time there holed up in The Bed Bug Inn writing incisive, illustrated, impressively researched, and obviously astute political and policy blogs, I'll share a few shots from an afternoon at the The New Children's Museum in San Diego.
| A 3-storey space worm made entirely of... |
| ...balloons! |
| A Walk-in Trojan Horse |
| Daughter looks lovely even in Try-On-A- Wacky-Animal gear. |
My daughter called us yesterday, saying that H&G had waltzed into the den and surprised her with something he had to say and, now, he had wanted her to call us so he could tell us the same thing. She handed him the phone and he said,
Hey! What's going on there? Cool! Cat! Trashcan!He'd gotten it. He'd been practicing quietly in his room and he'd come out for a marathon session of hard C's, ready to wow the world. How could I ever have have feared that humans just suck. Politics just sucks; humans vary; H&G soars. And, you know, it's almost impossible to be gloomy or down in a world that contains Jon Stewart, balloon space worms, my kids and my grandkids.
| The High and Exalted Grandson and I cruise intergalactic space as Funny Face Superhero Space Creatures. Cool! |

That Trojan Horse and balloon space worm are neat!
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool grandma!
ReplyDeleteAre any of you going to the Rally? I'm stumping for a blogger meetup!
ReplyDelete:: raises hand ::
ReplyDeleteGrandsons rock! So do granddaughters. I am navigating my way through this maze, but I bought the baby (age 1) a lovely, author signed book this weekend. Exactly what a 1 year old needs, right? Hey! It's the ABCs.
ReplyDeleteAhab,
ReplyDeleteShoot me an email and I'll give you some info on a meetup in progress.
LLLady,
Have you ever been so profoundly, madly in love in your life as with your first grandchild?! It's a new kind of magic.