![]() |
| Fair Bluff, NC |
Take a road trip with DH and me on a zig-zagging route past beautiful farms and unique Southern eccentricities, through a charming tiny town untouched by time, to the dear, dear home of my graduate alma mater, Chapel Hill, NC, to meet an old friend and a new one.
DH googled us a new route that took us through farm country we'd not seen before, wearing and tacking in 10-18 mile segments of fallow farmland. Maybe it was the gorgeous early fall light, the unusually dry, clear day, but the farmhouses all looked larger, newer, more prosperous than I expected. Too many pretentious columned ones, of course, because every Southern farm is Tara in someone's heart, but plenty of the kind of farmhouse I love best: the wide wrap-around porches and shed roofs, white paint and porch railings, front steps decked out in yellow mums and deep orange pumpkins. Cotton and feed corn must be doing well. I hated to hear that tobacco has made a comeback because of the huge Chinese market, but it's still the top-subsidized crop in the Carolinas. And my cynical, political self wondered how many of those apparently well-off farmers were tea party folk taking federal farm subsidies.
There were creative business oddities, screwball Southern shibboleths, and regional commonplaces on display, too, in little pockets of roadside business dotted between the fields. My favorite cluster included the Christian Car Wash, Priscilla's Bail Bonds, and Aspire Landscapes and Tutoring. One small, run-down farmhouse advertised with a hand-lettered sign: Sewing, Daylilies, and Toy Poodles. In South Robeson County, we passed a small stand that offered, "Produce 4 Sail." The recession has hit some folks very, very hard in a part of the country where many struggled even in the boom years...when some others of us couldn't spend fast enough. Everywhere, there were indications of deep-rooted belief, including the Bayboro Baptist Church sign that read, "Autumn Leaves. Jesus Doesn't." And this quirky juxtaposition, a billboard in the middle of nowhere, reading, "Primary Health Choice. In God We Trust." Is it just me?
In quaint Fair Bluff, NC, we stopped for a shot of the bridge over the Lumber River, parking next to an unmanned, but well-stocked, sweet potato stand. I believe we were meant to select potatoes and leave our payment, circa 1949. After taking pictures, I returned to the car ahead of DH, who was working on a panoramic shot. A car pulled up beside ours and a nice-looking lady hopped out to ask me, "You want to split a box?" Beg pardon? "A box is too much for us, but half a box is just right. Do you want to split the cost of a box of potatoes?" I didn't need any, but she spoke to me like she knew me, and that was nearly enough to stock me up on sweet potatoes until Thanksgiving.
We passed the home and office of Mrs. Shelby, Psychic Reader, who had seven 10-ft. tall inflated Frankensteins in her yard. And DH missed this, but I swear it was there, appearing suddenly after a mile of fields and disappearing as quickly: an apparently fully functional fire truck in hot pink, next to a firehouse trimmed in pink. I went in search of the image online and found it on WRAL's website from a 2008 Breast Cancer Awareness event. Breast Cancer Awareness month has come around again. Do they just leave it pink all year 'round or paint it anew each October? Whichever it is, I was instantly reminded to be aware.
![]() |
| WRAL |
![]() |
| RS and The Time Capsule |
Whenever I meet old friends I haven't seen in decades, I always admire my previous, youthful good taste in humans. My coffee with RS and DH lasted 2.5 hours. Suddenly, it was time for my lunch date with a blogging friend I'd never met...an unprecedented opportunity to admire my good taste in blog buddies.
Sheria (I finally learned to pronounce it right--accent on the first syllable) proposed an old Chapel Hill icon for lunch, Breadmen's. I'd passed it a million times, seen classmates on the patio, but I'd never eaten there. Full parking lot for Sunday lunch. Sheria was right on time. And warm, kind, funny, and so very smart. Charisma like crazy and a kind of luminosity. Please visit her blog at The Examined Life, and the spots we share at Hen's Teeth and The Swash Zone. We squinted into bright autumn sunlight for our picture and she held my hand to say goodbye. We're going to do this again.The weekend was exactly what I needed to alleviate the news blues. In fact, I was so rejuvenated by connecting with live Southern humans who think, I've decided my Stewart/Colbert Rally sign should read, "Southerners for Sanity."






A darned fine idea! Southerners have always prided themselves on being "different." We used to have all the nutty politicians down here, but there are so many crazies all over the country now, we need something to make us stand out again. It'll be a hard sell, Nance, but go for it. SOUTHERNERS FOR SANITY!
ReplyDelete(I should tell you that one of the congressional candidates here is having a fundraiser in which he gives his supporters an opportunity to outshoot him for $25.
Better make the sign big.
Southerners for Sanity!
ReplyDeleteAs Mary Lee says above, back in the day, we were the craziest of them all. My theory is that in the north there were basements to consign the insane family memebers to. Here in the south we had no basements, so we put them on the front porch. Sad that the crazy relatives now make more sense than many!
I'm filling up on Nyquil/Dayquil/Mucinex and I will be there Saturday!
Mrs. Shelby and I will be there with you in spirit at the march! Have a great time!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGreat message! I agree with LLL, the lack of basements has greatly influenced the role of crazy relatives in Southern culture. I recall as a child that there were relatives about whom the adults would speak in hushed whispers. "Don't mind cousin Zeke [full name Ezekiel], he's a bit teched in the head." I was ten before I realized that "teched" was the same as "touched."
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question, the fire truck is permanently pink!
Beautiful photo! I am dying to visit the Carolinas. I'll get there eventually.
ReplyDelete