Saturday, March 5, 2011

Gonna, Gotta GOMA!

Once I took a fiction writing course and, although I have never written a word of fiction since, I did take to heart the first rule that the instructor (himself a published author) offered on how to become a successful writer: AIC.

Ass in chair.

In fact, he suggested that we post a sign above our typewriters. (Hey, so the class was a long time ago...!)

Lou Lou's treatise on the dangers of sedentarianism (could that be a word?) certainly put a tack in my chair. And if that weren't enough, I just happened to be driving to the library that week for my sedentary reading fix when NPR's segment on Serena Williams' pulmonary embolisms came on the radio. Pulmonary embolisms are generally caused, they suggested, by inactivity.

Talk about piling on! Specifically, such incidents are most apt to occur after a period of prolonged bedrest. Of course, that doesn't explain how Serena Williams' embolism happened, but still, it did give me pause. . . which is the last thing I needed. I do my best pausing in a seated position.

Almost all of my activities are best done sitting; I read, I write, I knit, I do puzzles--crosswords and jigsaws, I sew, I watch movies and TV. I have only to look at my hip measurement to know that I do it all only too well--or at least too often. With a few notable exceptions, I don't like to do things that make me sweat.

Another NPR segment--this one on how walking at least 30 minutes a day three times a week had more to do with fending off dementia than brain teasers like crossword puzzles and Sudoku-- shot another dart at my bubble butt. I LOVE doing those! AIC activities, all.

So it's IXnay on the crosswords (sigh) and O-nay with the walking shoes if I want to stay out of the nursing home. If I really want to hit a homerun, I can download a foreign language lesson to stick in my ears while I'm hoofing it.

The NY Times says that exercise gives rats a shiny coat. Might that be simply sweat? My fleece-lined coat is fine, thank you, but a skinny butt, shiny or not, would be a wondrous thing.

Take down the AIC sign. It's GOMA time: Get off my arse.

No sweat, I hope.









9 comments:

  1. Hilariously true! Thanks for the belly laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Miss Motivation, if laughter is the best medicine, I'm cured after this post!

    That recommendation to learn a language? I need to do that. In the sixties, everybody said that German was the language to go for if you wanted to boost your business IQ, but I couldn't get the guttural parts. Nowadays, if you want to get ahead, I suppose Chinese is the way to go. But I want to learn Italian and wander around Rome and eat my weight in buffalo mozzarella and then head over to Bali and meet Javier Bardem and...maybe I should go with Spanish. Whaddya think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to brush up on my Spanish for about a year. My biggest fear is that I'll be a demented old lady in a nursing home, ranting in "Spanglish" and nobody will know what the hell I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With all the new obsession with iStuff, I know there are going to be new generations of AIC coming. I am waiting for 3D holograms to deliver my skinny arse. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary, I've read about all your exercising--now you're doing belly laughs. Clever! You'll be the slinkiest Mother of the Bride ever! And congratulations on finding The One! First dress you tried on... how great is THAT!

    Loulou, Italian would be my first choice, too! Perhaps we're Moonstruck.

    Ima June, I plan to go in with "Please turn my TV to NCIS reruns" pinned to my shirt so that if they ignore or don't understand me, I'll still feel at home.

    Dr. SubWow, please keep me informed. I suppose it's too much to expect that they'd be able to raise my bosom above my elbows again....

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the spirit of this subject, I've decided to skip the belly laughs and am going straight for the LMAO!

    Darn. It's not working.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Layla E, it was a good thought, though and I understand your logic. In fact, 'most everything I've been doing lately has been half-assed, thinking that being left with the other half would make me about the right size.

    That hasn't worked, either.

    Keep me informed if you come up with something else. (sigh) Who wants to be a Weeble!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm certain that hearty laughter burns a lot of calories so my exercise for the day was reading this post! Remember the lesson from that great book of Southern etiquette, the bible of every belle, Gone With the Wind, southern ladies don't sweat, we perspire (gently).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheria... and even then, it's rose water! LOL!

    We GLOW.

    ReplyDelete

By all means!