Sunday, March 20, 2011

Luck is a 4-Letter Word

Even though I consider myself a fairly fortunate person, I believe I have achieved this blessed state without any apparent guidance from charting my stars, having my palm read, casting runes, or even getting my colors done. I pretty much accept all the credit and blame for the ups and downs in my life story, and even if I could have foreseen some of the less-than-happy endings of affairs of heart or commerce, I would have given little heed to the knowledge.

Maybe I watched too many episodes of "I Dream of Jeannie" as a child, but I used to spend a lot of time wishing:I wished for new toys, for school days to go faster and weekends slower, for a different body or hair color or set of parents. I even started digging a hole in the back yard in search of buried treasure. When I would express "I wish..." out loud, my mother would scold me for wishing my life away...or admonish me to be careful what I wished for. It seemed to me that she was saying I should take satisfaction in present circumstances and not hope for anything to get better, or I'd only end up further disappointed. I didn't have a habit of listening to my mother, especially when she told me something I didn't want to hear, and so I didn't heed that particular advice either. The mere act of positive thinking, I was sure, would make good things happen.

Sometimes, though, fate has other ideas. As I pondered how the heck I would address this current bloggy theme, something caught my eye: the Google Ad on the page where I read LouLou's invitation to post on the topic was for a free astrological reading from Gabriella. Hoping for inspiration, I clicked and entered my birthdate and gender and first name, and trusted that Gabriella would ask me for a cash outlay before revealing more than the generic Taurus horoscope.

I was rewarded with a 7 page report on my romantic, financial, and career prospects. I skimmed the paragraphs looking for when to expect Prince Charming, a raise, or a job offer from Conde Nast, but all Gabriella could dwell on was the negative. She derided me for making poor choices in love and friendship, called me lazy, and delivered various similar messages of "tough love." The good news is that I have just entered a new cosmic cycle, and my new BFF Gabriella has come into my life to guide me through this phase, toward untold happiness, success, and fortune. Gabriella asked for a $49 donation to the divine powers (at least she wasn't personally profiting!) for my grand in-depth astral reading and continued input from her.

I'm sure Gabriella means well, but I'm going to take my chances and navigate this life on my own, thanks. If I'm going to trust anyone's intuition, it'll be my own.

We Tauruses are stubborn like that.

7 comments:

  1. I have found that one sometimes has to help along that good luck which is awaiting us. For example, I've had great success with rabbit's feet. The down side though is, when the fur wears off, you have go out and find a new rabbit. But...you are assured of 4 times the available luck once you capture the little sucker.

    Just thought I'd pass that along...for free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jaded, I've lost faith in totems since the Bolivian Love Amulet let me down....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disappointing I know, and ineffective for a reason. The BLA was...Bolivian. I should point out that my rabbit's feet are not Bolivian. Good ol' 'murican bunnies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, no, you DID NOT click on Gabriela! Damn. Now we'll never get rid of her, the bitchy scold.

    When I step up into my destined role and don the fated turban, I will be unremittingly positive. If anybody wants to know the bad stuff, they'll have to pay me for it. I figure that's the only way they'll ever take it seriously (see Ima June's ebay fortune telling experience below).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh! Nothing like a down-in-the-mouth seer! Like you should have to pay for THAT! That's why we have nagging relatives...!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LouLou, no need to worry about Gabriella -- I clicked on the link requesting no further e-mails from her, and she's been mum ever since.

    merrily, it was kind of a bummer. Sort of like the time I got a fortune cookie that told me: "Put on your party clothes. Go on - the clean ones!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's hysterical that you clicked on her for post guidance. Tongue in cheek, I know, but still funny :).

    ReplyDelete

By all means!