"He was not very good at drawing teeth, and he liked his patient to be deafened, amazed, stupefied by a thundering in his ears [...] the tooth came out--came out at bloody last, piece by piece--to the howling of conchs, the fire of two muskets, and the metallic thunder of several copper pots." Dr. Stephen Maturin in Treason's Harbor by Patrick O'Brian
In the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, while Napoleon roiled Europe with decades of war and modern chemical anesthesia was still decades away, surgeons relied on alcohol, on laudanum when they had it, but primarily on distraction and sensory competition to minimize suffering in their surgeries. Aboard warships and on the battlefields a deafening drumroll in the patient's ear could raise the pain threshold effectively (by up to forty per cent, as measured today). For this post, a bit of self-disclosure that pains me, some news, and a book recommendation. Easy part, first.
The New York Times reports this week that the FDA has pulled Darvon, an opioid drug used for pain for over fifty years, from the market entirely. They had really good reasons--the drug has been controversial for over thirty years and was banned in Britain since '05 for causing life-threatening heart arrhythmias-- but it was this sentence that struck me powerfully:
"The announcement ended a 32-year dispute over the safety of the 53-year-old drug. The F.D.A. recommended doctors switch patients to other painkillers, notably Extra Strength Tylenol or acetaminophen."I don't believe I've ever used Darvon, or Darvocet, as it is commonly prescribed in combination with acetaminophen. Perhaps it was prescribed after a surgery, but I can't recall. Some people have been prescribed it for frequent use to treat chronic pain and have become addicted to it because opioids are addicting, period. It's got nothing to do with a person's character; I expect you already know that, Dear Reader, but I mention it because it is an important point. According to the article, propoxyphene (Darvon), for which 17.5 million prescriptions have been written in 2009, has been shown to have very little effect on pain. I promise you there are lots of people out there this week who would beg to differ with that conclusion and who are scared right this minute. I appreciate that.
The uncomfortable disclosure: I suffer from an aggressive, degenerative osteoarthritis in my spine and larger joints, so pain has declared itself my BFF, riding always in my back pocket, so to speak. The integrity of my right hip is suspect now and occasionally I have to use a cane. Hard chairs, long car and plane trips, stairs are instruments of torture masquerading as elements of normal life. I taught dance aerobics in my forties and walked a fast four miles every morning throughout my fifties, but some days now I have trouble making it down my own hall. My rheumatologist pushes challenging daily workouts, anti-inflammatories, and GABA analogues which leave me foggy. I comply, but my post-workout day is often shot, so it's a struggle to accomplish much of anything else.
I wonder why I have system-wide osteoarthritis when neither of my parents did. At eighty-three, my father was baffled to learn that he was ill, since he noted "nothing hurts me." And then I recall my mother's story of my tiny great-grandfather who sat by the potbellied stove at night, smoking a pipe of marijuana for his arthritis. And that's probably another blog post, altogether.
The favorite tools in my pain management toolbelt are three which Patrick O'Brian's Dr. Stephen Maturin would thoroughly approve: the transcutaneous electrical stimulation system or TENs unit, which I wear in a portable version, is my own private drumroll. And there's my precious iPod piping Maddow in podcast, or "This American Life," or Tom Ashbrook's "On Point," or O'Brian's Treason's Harbor
I understand there's no cure for arthritis--there's only the full-time job of management--so I'm trying to save the big gun opioids until my last years. Besides, even doctors who are most savvy to chronic pain secretly prefer heroes to victims, so I tough out all I can. Should I do that? How much pain should be tolerated and how much is too much, triggering a worsening chronic pain cascade? Chronic pain sufferers want to know.
So my ears pricked up when I heard NPR's "Talk Of The Nation" interview with Melanie Thernstrom, introducing her new book, The Pain Chronicles. I recommend it in analogue form; sometimes, you need actual pages to turn...with a bright yellow highlighter in hand. The science in the book is up to date--brain imaging, stress-induced descending analgesia, hyperalgesias, nociceptors, et alia--but it is the language employed here that sang to me and made me feel less alone, for Thernstrom is a writer. She quotes Nietzsche,
"I have given a name to my pain and call it 'dog.' It is just as faithful, just as obtrusive and shameless, just as entertaining, just as clever as any other dog--and I can scold it and vent my bad mood on it, as others do with dogs, servants, and wives."
Sections include Pain As Metaphor, Pain As History, as Disease, as Narrative, and as Perception. Some people who suffer chronic pain merely want it to go away; Melanie Thernstrom and I insist on understanding it, a trait that drives specialists crazy and sometimes causes them to label us Problem Patients. For me, knowledge has always been power and I like my knowledge best when delivered in a literary vein, so The Pain Chronicles might have been written just for me. It was hard to choose an example, so I opened the book to one of my bottom dog-eared, highlighted pages, at random:
Physical pain changes the body in the same way that emotional loss watermarks the soul. The body's pain system is not hardwired, but soft-wired (what neuroscientists call "plastic"), and it can be maladaptively molded by pain to increase its pain sensitivity. Ordinarily we think of neuroplasticity as being a positive trait: as the brain adapts to its circumstances and learns new things, new nervous pathways are laid down and old neural pathways disappear, the way the forest reclaims an untrodden path. But in the case of persistent pain, neuroplasticity is negative.This is not a cover-to-cover read for me. Instead, I pull it out and read a few chapters as one of the tools in my pain management tool belt when osteoarthritis and secondary fibromyalgia are playing particularly hard on me.
I am always amazed at people my age and much older who do not experience unusual pain--there are more of us who do not than those of us who do--but most of us know someone of some age who struggles with trigeminal neuralgia or rheumatoid arthritis, an aging athlete whose knees must be replaced, or someone like me who never slowed down until they had no choice. They may feel that no one can possibly understand and that no one wants to hear one more time how frustrated and sorry they are that they cannot keep up. If you know someone, I can't think of a kinder gift to that person than Thernstrom's book.
Today is a Stieg Larsson in my ear, TEN's unit cranked up, Thernstrom chapter kind of day for me and there is a fence waiting to be painted. Drumroll, please.



So sorry to hear what you have to endure, Loulou! Even with your pain you can still find the energy to run rings around me!
ReplyDeleteLouLou, thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your wisdom in this post. I suffer from arthritis in both knees and there are days when I dread getting out of bed. I am going to purchase a copy of Thernstrom's book. I think that you are wonderful!
ReplyDeleteIma June,
ReplyDeleteThank you, honey! Now, can you teach me to draw cartoons?
Sheria,
I am so grateful to be of service to your poor knees and I hope the book helps!
I am sorry you have to suffer with this, but impressed by how well you deal with it.
ReplyDeleteThe book sounds fascinating!
Take care, and I wish you a pain-free day.
I'm making a note of the book. I'm a big fan of audio books for pain management. Stick earpods into my ears in a dentist chair and it's much easier to get me to open wide. Has to be a book--music doesn't have the same effect.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, Stieg Larsson? You're really bringing out the heavy artillery!
Happy Thanksgiving, Dear Heart!
Knatolee,
ReplyDeleteThanks, Sweetheart!
Merrily,
Earbuds at the dentist--gotta have 'em. But if you think it's hard to answer questions for the dentist with all that stuff in your mouth, it's even harder if you can't hear him/her. I resort to hand signals if it hurts and ignore the rest.
Larsson: I haven't been a fiction addict in years, but he had me from about page forty of Dragon Tattoo. I had two of them in paperback from an aunt. By the last one, I couldn't wait long enough to get to a book store. As soon as I closed The Girl Who Played With Fire, I loaded Hornets Nest into my iPod from iTunes. Now that I've read them all, what do I do with the rest of my life?