Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dark Lady: Fulcrum, Fulminator, Fabulous

Every Southern town has at least one pink or lavender cinderblock house on the outskirts of town with a Psychic Reader sign in the front yard. As a licensed psychotherapist, I always figured that would be my retirement plan. Now, I've fulfilled the first requirement, the retirement part, but I'm struggling with reincarnation to teller of fortunes. I can't quite manage to fit my own colorful mental image of Dark Lady. I worry that my hair is wrong.


From my friend JES, a novel in the works...
…and (the “she” in this passage a “reader of palms, of cards, of signs and portents and mysterious coincidences”):
“Things are coming to pass,” she went on. “Destructive things, but also wonderful things — literally wonderful: things full of wonder. Remember that wonders need not all be nice, Wayne. Some can be quite terrible. A dark comet colliding with the Earth is as much a wonder as a brilliant one passing in the night sky, hundreds of thousands of miles distant. But things, yes, wonders long in the making are coming to pass.
“At the heart of these things coming to pass stands a woman — perhaps more than one woman. Each woman a fulcrum, you see? A hinge about which a particular problem can be seen to swing.”
She closed her eyes but continued to speak, as though hypnagogically.
“She — or you, under her influence — must find an unexpected opening and cut into and through the problem. The woman will not be easily pleased, she may not accept at first what you are trying to accomplish, or how. You must not let her decide for you — the fulcrum, you see? she is not the lever itself – but you must attend to her. To get to the wonder, you see?”
(JES, Seems to Fit)
Cocktail parties were a always a challenge for me. Any new person you meet at a cocktail party, if accidentally and awkwardly left alone with you, will ask you what you do. No one is as comfortable asking that question of a woman now as they were in the seventies, before feminism hit its early stride, but no one has come up with a better ice breaker that I know of, either. If I answered honestly--I am a psychotherapist--I either got an earful of how the field is bullpucky and didn't help the Ex one bit, or else I was expected to comp an endless consultation while standing and imbibing alcohol, ankles ever a-swell.

I learned to lie slightly about my job. I'd tell my new cocktail party best friend (short half-life) that I was a Seer. Not too far off. Therapists talk about needing to hurry back from lunch to "see a client." We'll say, "Oh, yes, I saw him for about six months before he defeated me, felt satisfied, and pronounced himself cured." So, to strangers who asked, I'd say, "I'm a seer," and I'd give him or her the Look.

Here's an example of the Look:


Next, my favorite fortune teller movie. Great cast: Cate Blanchett, Keanu Reaves, Giovanni Ribisi,  Hillary Swank and The Bride of Dianetics.



And, finally, I think this is the image of The Dark Lady that I hold up as my ideal. I fall only slightly short of it, but still....



All the dark ladies of my imagining have portentous hair. Absolutely none of them have really short, sorta brindle cat-colored hair and incipient chin wattles. And they don't wear as many neutrals as I do. I think earrings are essential, but I've let my pierced ears grow shut from sheer laziness. About the only quality I've got nailed is the languid part. And the dress in this video? I've got one just like it, but more in my color range; that one's never going to Goodwill while I'm alive.

 Image-wise, I've got some work to do. Maybe extensions would help.

8 comments:

  1. Ah, but do you have the accent?

    'hypnagogically' is a new one on me, as is bullpucky.

    will i ever learn?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friko,
    "Ah, but do you have the accent?"

    I suck at accents, but my son-in-law is awesome at them. If I said, "Honey, do Cher," he'd nail it. His talents are wasted on the Navy.

    "'hypnagogically' is a new one on me, as is bullpucky."

    JES and I are real writers and we have a special vocabulary that we pull out to dazzle the reader.

    Okay, JES is a real writer. I just make stuff up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extensions would help your look, and they might help get "the look" permanently on your face because all you could ever think about was "damn, my hair hurts, and if anyone dares ask me a question when I am so obviously all-knowing, I'll beat them with my hair extensions."

    also, you could practice your Cher voice by simply pretending you have a cold and moving your lips about 1/2 a word slower than what you are actually saying.

    And I love you, but did it ever occur to you that cocktail parties were a challenge because in your world it is easier to say "I'm a seer" than to say "a therapist?" I can not even imagine what I'd do if I was at a party and someone told me they were a "seer" unless it was at my Halloween party, in which case I'd LOVE it and ask them to see their way to the cocktail bar. I imagine you got a lot of the same looks that you got when you were a little chick and you told people that your oreo cookie was just like theirs and theirs wasn't.

    oh, and you ARE a real writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Opaline,
    It was not I who said my Oreo cookie was just like theirs and theirs wasn't. I was Miss First Grade.

    No, really.

    Cher was the most gorgeous thing anybody had ever seen, but the best part was her sense of humor about herself. The ultimate gypsy queen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a freckled, fair-skinned redhead, I have no hope of ever pulling off the dark-lady look myself, so you're not alone LouLou! And while I've not delved into psychotherapy myself (yet!), my friends who've done so relay that the key to successful therapy, much like the key to benefiting from a paychic reading, seems to be the willingness to do the hard work oneself. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong (on either count).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the Cher video, I love Cher. you've got me humming "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves."

    ReplyDelete
  7. a)If nothing else, I know what my vote for your next Halloween costume is. You have the staggering eyes, as well as the moxie to pull it off.

    b) That's a killer cast...

    c) I'm with Opaline on 2 counts. 1) I'd have no idea how to respond to the word "seer"... 'Therapist' would have been tame, and 'counselor'...damn near benign. Not to diminish what it is you "do/did" (not at all)...but if avoidance was a [sort of] goal... 2) You are, indeed, a real writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, now I feel that I have made it. Being quoted among a coopful of beautiful liberal Southern ladies... this post needs to be printed out (preferably in elegant longhand) and posted over my desk. Thank you very much, Loulou.

    Here in the capital city of Florida (stop screaming, I didn't make it this way), the reader of choice is known as Sister Fay. Her place, complete with huge hand-painted billboard, is just across the road from the day-care center which The Stepdaughter runs. I sometimes wonder if the place gives off psychic radiation with a long half-life. Perhaps kids pre-schooled there wake up in later life, their foreheads beaded with sweat and their brains a-roil with things which may -- or may not -- come to pass.

    ReplyDelete

By all means!