Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fortnight's Topic: Fortunes Told

How fortunate that I have a few fortune-related stories!

Once, at a family owned Chinese food restaurant, my little brother got a fortune cookie that read "if you are still hungry, have another fortune cookie."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I once had my fortune told at a Renaissance Fair, back in the spring of 2006. Everyone was dressed in medieval garb, speaking in faux accents, hawking overpriced handmade handicrafts, and drinking "mead." I was without appropriate renaissance attire, and feeling very much like a "guest" at this event for serious renaissance attendees, so I was looking for a way to fully engage in the fanfare.
As I wandered around, I saw a small purple tent, situated under a shady tree. A hand-chalked sign advertised a variety of fortune telling experiences, with the teller being a "Tarot Card Specialist." What do you suppose a teller has to do to become a "specialist" of a certain method? I suspect it involves renting enough advertising space to add the word "specialist" to the end of your name :) I wonder if they all get together and sign off each other's continuing education credits or something... if two psychics meet up does one say to the other "You are fine, how am I?"
I don't remember all the details of the reading, but there was this: the fortune teller, a bald man with blue eyes, said that I face ups and downs like everyone else, but that I should expect a "life changer" in the month of February. I left feeling properly inducted into the party, and glad to have sat down in the shade for a while.
Within a few months, I discovered I was pregnant, and due date was for late January. Well, I guess Mr. Fortune Teller knew what he was talking about, 'cause little chick stayed put till mid-February. There has been no other event in my life that more aptly deserves to be called a "life changer," that's for sure!

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to you and your little one. After all, you did a lot of the work. Many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I wonder if they all get together and sign off each other's continuing education credits or something"....Snort!

    A bald, blue-eyed, male fortune teller. Really? I thought they all had to be women over forty-five who looked approximately like Cher would look, now, if she hadn't been trying so hard to look like Cher used to look, then. And a turban; definitely, a turban. "Dark Lady," and all that.

    Gotta do some lyrics. Can't help myself:

    "The fortune queen of New Orleans,
    Was brushing her cat in her black limousine
    On the backseat were scratches from
    The marks of men her fortune she had won
    Couldn't see through the tinted glass,
    She said "Home James" and he hit the gas
    I Followed her to some darkened room,
    She took my money, she said 'I'll be with you soon'

    Dark Lady laughed and danced and lit the candles one by one
    Danced to her gypsy music till her brew was done
    Dark Lady played back magic till the clock struck on the twelve
    She told me more about me than I knew myself."

    Oh, dear. I'm a Fortune Teller profiler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just when you thought it was safe to be agnostic, something like this happens. I have a friend who hired an exorcist to rid his home of ghosts. If he weren't one of my oldest and closest friends I would think him nuts. But I heard the thing myself. Kinda makes you wonder doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Bald man with blue eyes'...hey, I think I've got my new gig figured out!

    And of course, that was the best February Gift EVER! Thanks;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should belaymylast become a fortune teller...all would be right with the world...:).

    Brilliant tarot reading, indeed. I'm curious about the CEU's myself now...not only the signing off on, but the topics of the courses themselves. How to bring crystal balls from passé, to today? Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete

By all means!