Relating to the preceding posts of my fellow hens: I dressed up as a fortune teller once (reason: a neighborhood carnival on base - I was 13 or 14); I also called a psychic once (reason: I was 19, the commercial was very convincing, and I had a vital boy/summer romance question). That shared, my thoughts/take on this topic - Fortune Told - lean toward recent events...perhaps a tarot card disguised as a photo ;).
Mini-preface: In my last post, I mentioned my interest/focus on flocks of birds and their choreography; I explained what they mean to me and how they translate to a spiritual presence.
Post: The Thursday before last, the 10th of March, I arrived home after work & errands around 8:00pm. I went into the house, grabbed my camera, and walked my snap-happy self right back out...as I had seen three small flocks of black birds (black in color, I've no idea if they were actual blackbirds) in the trees in our yard + the yard across the street. I sat on the curb, camera poised to capture the group-diving which fascinates me so. On this day, there was less diving and more...direct flight. These birds were communicative and organized. Focused. It seemed that one [of them] would make a statement/a call, more imperative than declarative, and that statement would trigger movement from one tree to the next. They used the same set of trees, and the same [isosceles shaped] path each time. In between very spry flights - they would spend what felt like 20 minutes in position amongst the branches...all very still, and all looking in the same direction. Their time spent still was probably closer to 4 minutes, but a fair amount of time just the same (flighty, as birds are). Though we characterize birds as free (free as a bird, etc..), they are also creatures of discipline. They resourcefully build their homes, fiercely protect their young, and dutifully provide regular meals to the tiny, squawking, translucent beaks of their hatchlings. And these birds, my birds on the 10th, seemed to be running a drill of some sort. I stayed outside for a bit, took some photos, and went back inside...feeling somewhat disappointed in the tone. Rather than uplifting (like catching a glimpse of Betty), it felt...somber (as evidenced in the photo itself). Note to reader: I qualify as a photography enthusiast with aspirations of becoming an amateur.
North Augusta, SC - March 10, 2011
It wasn't until Saturday that I realized my time spent with the birds that evening took place close to what had been 10am Friday morning in Japan...around 5 hours before the earthquake shook and then shifted the planet. The more I look at the photo, the more I'm convinced that the birds were tuning in...sensing what was near in the Far East. Winged seers.
We were stationed at Misawa AFB in Japan for 3 years. That assignment affected me more than any other, probably more than all others combined. I love Japan, adore the people, and admire their traditions & customs. Land of the rising sun - yes. It's also enchanting, quirky, challenging, and completely charming. And Misawa... There's something about that place. I'm not unique in having been affected so significantly; the kinship among fellow Misawa-stationees blows my mind. Before Facebook, Myspace, or Classmates - we congregated on webpages dedicated to the base and our experiences there...there were forums, message boards, photos, and announcements of reunions open to anyone who had ever gone to school on the base. Facebook has only allowed the virtual gatherings to flourish and reach more even more brats; it's brilliant and 75% of what makes FB worthwhile to/for me.
As says the the cliche, home is where the heart is... The considerable space that Japan holds in my heart is both broken and in awe of all they are experiencing. As I pray for those suffering and in need, I also know witnessing a resilient, innovative, and humble people rebuild is sure to be an equally extraordinary experience. I only hope to help in a meaningful way.


What a beautiful post. Thanks for bringing us all a little closer to the tragedy in Japan by giving us your perspective and sharing the profound effect it had on your life.
ReplyDeleteNot likely but certainly possible the birds could feel something. Afterall, they do indeed sense seismic and weather way ahead of the game and like you, I too love to watch the black birds as they try to settle down for the night in the marsh. It seems to take as many as 20 group flights to finally pick the "perfect" spot, for whatever reason, left a mystery to me.
ReplyDeleteMy heart too goes out to the people of Japan. I fear it's just the tip of the iceberg.
That picture just haunts me. It's so beautifully framed and tinted to convey the mood and sense of the moment. It's not a picture of birds; it's a picture of a whisper, a hint, a foretelling, a mystery.
ReplyDeleteYou have real artistry here, Amanda Rose. I think you can safely declare yourself moved further along the continuum, photography-wise. I foretell good things and deep enjoyment in the process.
A funny thing about your Japan tour is stuck in my head. You had a futon that you brought with you back to the states, one that you slept on Japanese style, bearing the logo "Happy Make." That charmed us all. It was evident that Japan had made you very happy and you passed that along.
Thanks so much, Elisa. Funny how regardless of the time and distance, I remember and feel it (Japan) like it was yesterday.
ReplyDeleteMr. Charleston ~ Thanks so much for reading. The birds I saw that day, were not birds I normally see in our neighborhood. My hunch is they received something via Twitter (pun intended) from their counterparts in Japan ;). I too wonder what else is in store for that region...
LouLou ~ Such beautiful compliments, thank you so much. I do believe "A Whisper" would be the perfect title for the photograph. ...And I can't believe you remember that futon! Well, the futon...maybe...but the fact that it said "Happy Make"? That's amazing. I eventually bought a new cover for it (which was a challenge as it was a true frame-less Japanese futon), took it to college with me...used it in the dorms and in our first apartment. I slept on it from something like age 12-22 or 23. Loved that thing.
First, I love that picture, I'd say you had passed on to "amateur photographer" by now with snaps like that.
ReplyDeleteI remember Japan being such a part of you. I remember making egg rolls at your house, from scratch, and to this day I think of you whenever I find myself cheating in the kitchen with pre-made frozen ones.
I think it's brilliant that you put those bird's actions together with the earthquake; I love those kinds of discoveries about animal actions. The way they connect with the earth so much more deeply than we do.
I used to have a hamster in Alaska that would go crazy in his cage in the few minutes before an earthquake. Always woke me up at night right before one hit.
Great post :)
OH! And I totally remember "happy make!" Black and white, with the words printed in little block letters... that thing cracked me up. Many Goldfish Crackers were munched on that silly futon!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the kind words; so glad you dig the photo as well. ....And Happy Make + Goldfish...spot on. I also remember moving the futon out to the hammock one night...
ReplyDeleteIsn't it interesting how something that stuck with me so much...impressed equally upon you? Love that. I have some similar memories/thoughts of Alaska as that's where y'all were when we were in Japan!