Artists have always enjoyed traveling the world to find new places for inspiration. I'm not one of them, unfortunately.
I'm a white-knuckle flyer and I love my own bed (and bathroom) too much. Our six cats and one decrepit Toy Fox Terrier need me.
And did I mention the 60 hummingbirds who come to our feeders every day?
So it was a real joy to discover the website Virtual Paintout, created by artist Bill Guffey. Each month he chooses some spot in the world where artists can meet and paint or draw and then submit their artwork to the site.
But it's all done virtually by way of Google's "Streetview"---which enables you to virtually drive or walk around cities almost anywhere in the world.
Here are a few of my past entries. These are all scenes and people as they appeared on Streetview.
Click on images for enlarged view.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go let my little dog out.
Mexico City
Mexico City
Corsica
Sausalito, California
New York City
New York City (the "Out-of-Towners")
Belfast, Northern Ireland







What a great idea! Good art, too.
ReplyDeleteOh, lovely! What a wonderful thing to do. I admit to being a Google Earth stalker and this takes it one step further. That's a surrey race in Belfast? What a fantasy event that would be!
ReplyDeleteThanks, kenju. Bill Guffey is a fantastic artist who's done over 100 paintings using Google Streetview. He has entrants from all over the world.
ReplyDeleteLoulou--I don't know for sure if they were racing--it looked more like an outing of a club. There were many others of different surrey types all down that street where they were turning the corner. Belfast was a very interesting place. Hard to imagine all the violence that has happened there.
What a cool idea. thanks for the tip
ReplyDeleteI've missed your street view art. Thanks for the tour.
ReplyDeleteSIXTY hummingbirds? I'm thrilled when I get one or two a day! I'm like you about traveling, but I'd really like to see all those hummers! Let's see some pictures... either your art or your photographs. Otherwise, get the guest room ready.
You're welcome, Mr. C!
ReplyDeleteYes, Merrilymarylee, sixty hummingbirds--maybe more--at the feeders, mainly in the early morning and just before dark, when they "tank up" for the night. All the males spend more time trying to keep each other from feeding than they do getting fed. The females just go "Meh. Pass the sugar water."
This is a great idea, and your pictures are charming! Thanks for sharing with us.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Layla! I haven't done any of these for a while--I really need to get back to it. This month they're in Japan.
ReplyDelete