Monday, August 8, 2011

Going to School On S&P/McGraw Hill




Short audio clip of David Beers, Standard and Poor's pompous BMOC. I was spitting nails.



Notice that they are a Division of McGraw-Hill, whose performance today looked a little different from the rest of the markets around the globe. Down for the day, but ticking up since the close today. 

click image to watch this stock

There's a little more to the story, but, still. 


Here's McGraw-Hill's CEO discussing earnings outlooks for the second half of the year in the transcript of a conference call published on July 28th, 2011:

Harold McGraw

Okay, thank you very much, Don. And good morning, everyone, and welcome to today's conference call. Besides Don, as Don mentioned, with me today is Jack Callahan, our Chief Financial Officer. He'll be providing a little bit more color to our financials in just a moment.

We have 2 objectives for today's call. First, we want to review our encouraging second quarter results and share our perspective on the positive outlook that we have for the second half of this year. Second, we want to update you on our important strategic portfolio review, which is intended to accelerate global growth and unlock shareholder value. 

There's something wrong with this picture. I hate boycotting any publisher, but I've already been practicing on Rupert Murdoch's Harper-Collins. Harper-Collins and McGraw-Hill are two of the biggest textbook publishers in the country.

Back to school.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I SO hear ya! I've been telling my kids to avoid Hulu...another piece of Murdoch's evil empire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information. I had no idea.

    Also, ER Stanton, thanks for pointing out the Hulu connection. We are going to be re-thinking that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *gulp*
    McGraw is funding 2 scholarships to my program next year. Is it bad for me to want them to stay in the black?

    ReplyDelete

By all means!